Metal Filling Replacement
Mercury is most poisonous, naturally occurring substance on earth. Yes, more toxic than Lead, Cadmium, or Arsenic.
Mercury, a known neurotoxin, makes up 50% of amalgam fillings, which also contain silver, copper and tin. Mercury exposure from amalgam fillings may contribute to health issues, and more health-conscious patients are opting to have amalgam filling replaced with healthier alternatives.
Safe Amalgam Removal
Doctors all over the world remove amalgam filling without regard for the safety of the patient or themselves. When amalgam fillings are removed, they emit high levels of mercury vapor which a patient breathes and ingest if proper precautions are not taken to lessen exposure.
Dr. Aver is a mercury free dentist who follows safety strategies established by International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology (IAOMT) for the removal of amalgam fillings. She uses physical methods, barriers and ventilation techniques to lessen mercury exposure.
What to Expect...
When having Amalgam Fillings removed
To guard against any further exposure to mercury, Dr. Aver covers the face and/or shades the eyes to prevent splattered amalgam particles from landing on the skin and in the eyes.
Dr. Aver provides patients with a pure oxygen source via a nasal mask. Special ventilation systems and room air purifiers are used to reduce ambient mercury vapor throughout the office.
Contained Treatment and Removal
In an effort to isolate the treatment area, Dr. Aver provides each patient with a well fitting non-latex dam and or Isolite mask. The use of specialty tools for the quick and effective removal is necessary. For each patient, a new carbide cutting burs are used to minimize the amount of shavings of the amalgam filling while grinding. Dr. Aver sections amalgam to remove in large sections. An ample amount of water sprayed through an air water syringe directed on tip of cutting bur is used to keep the temperature down, and reduce vapor pressure within the mercury. Then for removal, the area is surrounded by a high volume suction tip. A separate suction waste water system is used for proper disposal.
Pre and Post Removal Guidance
Dr. Aver provides patients with appropriate physical support, and nutritional and homeopathic guidance prior to amalgam removal as well post removal such as a detox treatment plan, depending on patient’s medical condition.
Amalgam Removal Detox Protocol
Biocompatible Testing and Materials
Utilizing testing and research, Dr. Aver will work with each patient to determine what is the most appropriate biocompatible restorative material for them.
Toxic Dental Materials
In dentistry a wide variety of foreign materials may be used. These include anesthetics, bonding agents, sutures, and an assortment of restoration materials. Many people may have little or no adverse reaction to them, however there are those who do.
We understand that each person is an individual with his/her unique biochemistry. Therefore a substance which may have little or no effect on one person may be a source of health concerns for another. Dr. Aver avoids or minimizes exposure to toxic materials by using biocompatible substances that are compatible with our bodies when possible.
Today there are many dental materials used which are toxic to all humans, however may be considered “safe” when ingested in such small quantities. These toxins may appear to have no immediate effect until the level of toxicity becomes too high for one’s immune system to handle. It is important to avoid exposure, even in small quantities, to toxic and foreign materials, especially those with personal sensitivity.
Dr. Aver offers biocompatibility testing of dental materials. The test, which is done a minimum of 2 weeks prior to any dental treatment, requires blood drawn by a medical lab. The results give Dr. Aver a list of all commonly used materials and whether the patient’s body showed reactivity to chemical groups, and if a patient is or is not well suited to over 2,000 dental materials.
If a patient chooses not to test, Dr. Aver can not guarantee that materials will be compatible. However, she will present options based on materials that are found to be the most compatible for the greatest number of patients.
Mercury/Toxic Metal Sensitivity Questionnaire from Talk International
Environmentally Sensitive Patients
Dr. Aver recognizes that each patient is an individual with his/her own personal sensitivity and medical history. Allergies, chemical sensitivities, or an already burden immune system are carefully considered when treating a patient. She takes special care to consider which products, materials and treatments are most appropriate for each patient.